Well, things aren’t going too badly with DreamHost, I’m sorting out all my domains and CGI, databases, PHP etc and things are looking good. When I get dentedreality.com.au across, then I will know things are good 🙂
UPDATE: Things are looking very good – .com.au is transferred properly and appears to have propagated pretty much everywhere, judging by the traffic on my old account. I’ll leave it there for a couple days longer and make sure I’ve migrated everything properly, then close my account at phpwebhosting.com.
The reasons that I have decided on DreamHost are along these lines:
- UNIX Servers (personal requirement)
- SSH/Shell Access (crucial)
- .htaccess Editing (crucial)
- CGI/PHP (crucial)
- Ability to host multiple domains/subdomains (can only have 1 domain on phpwebhosting)
- IMAP Mail server – good benefit, since I am switching to web-based mail
- Good price – for me to host 10 domains there (6 properly + 4 mirroring) is $14.95 per month
- Good reputation – checked around and only heard good things. The usual criticism of their support, but hopefully I won’t be using it much, so it won’t matter 🙂
- FTP – I can add users who will have FTP access to certain areas on my servers, which will be good for sharing some space with friends
- crontabs – can edit them and set them when I want
So please bear with me over the next few days as things might get a little messy on this site (and related ones) while I am moving things around between this host and my new one.
Up until recently, I would have recommended phpwebhosting.com with flying colours for their fantastic, very cheap web hosting service. Unfortunately, over the last couple weeks, I have had a few days where pretty much for an entire day my site has been unreachable. I haven’t really had any feedback from the staff there as to what’s going on, except to say (after the fact) “we had to do some upgrades, but they are finished now”… only to have another day’s outage soon after.
I still think they are a great provider, but they are going to have to be very stable for a pretty long time to get me back to my very happy status of yester-week…