Apparently I’ve been moved to a new server at DreamHost. Let’s see if that solves any of the performance problems that I’ve been having. I still have an account at MediaTemple that I’m paying for, and haven’t gotten around to moving things over to just yet 🙁
Well, things aren’t going too badly with DreamHost, I’m sorting out all my domains and CGI, databases, PHP etc and things are looking good. When I get dentedreality.com.au across, then I will know things are good 🙂
UPDATE: Things are looking very good – .com.au is transferred properly and appears to have propagated pretty much everywhere, judging by the traffic on my old account. I’ll leave it there for a couple days longer and make sure I’ve migrated everything properly, then close my account at phpwebhosting.com.
The reasons that I have decided on DreamHost are along these lines:
- UNIX Servers (personal requirement)
- SSH/Shell Access (crucial)
- .htaccess Editing (crucial)
- CGI/PHP (crucial)
- Ability to host multiple domains/subdomains (can only have 1 domain on phpwebhosting)
- IMAP Mail server – good benefit, since I am switching to web-based mail
- Good price – for me to host 10 domains there (6 properly + 4 mirroring) is $14.95 per month
- Good reputation – checked around and only heard good things. The usual criticism of their support, but hopefully I won’t be using it much, so it won’t matter 🙂
- FTP – I can add users who will have FTP access to certain areas on my servers, which will be good for sharing some space with friends
- crontabs – can edit them and set them when I want
So please bear with me over the next few days as things might get a little messy on this site (and related ones) while I am moving things around between this host and my new one.