AvantType is the sister-version of AvantBlog, giving you the ability to post to your TypePad-based blog from your handheld device. Most of the information on the AvantBlog page is the same for AvantType (they are almost identical), but the installation links etc on this page are what you’ll need to get started.
How Do I Get It?
Easy! Just pick from one of these methods;
- If You Are Using AvantGo…
- All you need to do is click on either the “Install AvantGo Channel” or the AvantGo logo in the panel on the right, and you will start the install process. You shouldn’t need to modify any of the default settings on the Custom Channel, but you can if you like.
- If You Are Using A Different Browser…
- Then basically, you just need to point it towards http://avanttype.dentedreality.com.au/ and load up the page, then log in and start blogging!
- If you are finding that your screen has more room available and you’d like to make the main post editing field bigger, you can add ‘?w=XX&h=YY’ to the end of the URL for AvantType (without the quotes) and specify a new width (w) and height (h) for the editing area. As a guideline, a Palm Vx uses ?w=17&h=6 while an HP iPAQ H5550 uses ?w=20&h=11 to get the biggest area possible.
- Handheld device (like a Palm or Handheld PC) running AvantGo or a similar web channel/browser program
- About 3K on your handheld device to store the channel
- An Internet connection! (either directly from the handheld, or via the computer you synch with)
- A web log managed via TypePad
If you are having any trouble getting AvantType set up or working, or would like to let me know about an exotic platform that you have it working on 🙂 please contact me.