Once a year, all of Automattic gets together in one place for a full week of face-to-face work, learning, food and fun. We fly in from all around the world, shuttle to a hotel/resort/space of some sort, and then get together to work through a bunch of things. This year we descended upon Canyons Resort in Park City, Utah (another US state crossed off my list!). The week was roughly structured into a front-loaded, work-type-things section, and a tail end more loaded with activities. For my part, I:
- Learned more about Node.js (and got a copy of coworker @TooTallNate‘s “Node.js in Action“), specifically in relation to some new applications we’re building out at WordPress.com
- Worked with React.js some more (which is awesome and pretty exciting)
- Went on a 5km run (walked the first bit, but then my knee was feeling OK so I ran most of it)
- Took a gondola ride up the mountain, then went on a ~1.5 hour hike through beautiful aspens and conifers, past a trout-stocked lake and through some downhill MTB trails
- Went on a guided fly fishing trip with guides from Trout Tales, where I (finally!) caught my first fish; and then my second and third as well
- Visited High West Distillery for a tour, tasting, and picked up a bottle of their Son of Bourye (a delicious blend of Bourbon and Rye)
- Met a bunch of new Automatticians and spent time hanging out and getting to know people new and old
- Road tripped from Denver, CO to Park City, UT and back again with @alternatekev and @michaelarestad
Michelle did a great official write-up on the WordPress.com Blog.
Here is a collection of shots from the week (including the trip there and back):
Welcome to Utah.
Road trip selfie.
My room’s view.
High West Distillery.
Party suite… all work and no play on the last day.
Crazy panorama from a rest stop in Utah.
Completely accidental selfie.
Beautiful Colorado mountains.
Company Photo, 2014
* Title image taken by Luca Sartoni