To be involved in producing exciting solutions to some of the many problems that plague us online and off. I am a dedicated, passionate and talented LAMP/web developer who loves working on social media, community-oriented systems and enabling technologies that work for you, rather than against you. I want to get back into doing something I love, where I don't care that I'm working until late into the night, because I'm surrounded by people I enjoy spending my time with, and I'm doing something that I actually believe in.
Writing custom WordPress plugins, managing a large WP installation and keeping one of the biggest tech news blogs on the Internet online. I debugged/customized existing plugins, tuned and improved the performance of the site and servers and was generally responsible for debugging (or writing from scratch) and making sure that new features were added in a timely fashion and that they worked as expected. Since this was almost all WordPress work, it was exclusively on the LAMP stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP), although we used lighttpd as the web server in this case.
Managed all technology-related operations of company measuring annual revenues in the millions. Lead up to three other developers and created and/or worked on all back-end systems handling millions of clicks worth of traffic per month. Built systems allowing the company to track and sell traffic being delivered to clients. Built back-end systems using PHP/MySQL/Bash Scripting etc, front-ends using XHTML/JS/CSS/XML/XSLT. Managed web and database servers, including MySQL replication and server redundancy. Interfaced with vendors and managed all technical supplies.
Managed production and creation of all online courses for the Learning Technologies group within the Science and Mathematics Education Center, catering exclusively to post-graduate students working towards Masters and Doctoral qualifications. Planned and executed a complete migration of all content to clean XHTML and CSS presentation. Guided production of course-ware in CD-ROM and booklet form. Built our student information management system (using PHP/MySQL) which integrated with phpBB to provide both front end (student-facing) and back end (office-facing interfaces for managing student information, communications, assessable work, outgoing physical mail records and complex reporting systems) operations.
- Mac OS X
- Expert, using currently and for 6 years.
- Windows 3.11/NT4/95/98/ME/2000/XP
- Not currently using, expert in listed versions.
- Expert, using currently and for 11 years (HTML → XHTML).
- Expert, using currently and for 10 years.
- Intermediate, using currently and for 9 years.
- Intermediate, using currently and for 3 years.
- Intermediate/Advanced, using currently and for 10 years.
- Expert, using currently and for 10 years.
- Intermediate, used previously for 4 years.
- Apache (config/rewrites/etc)
- Intermediate, using currently and for 10 years.
- Beginner, used for 6 months, not currently.
- Windows Networking
- Intermediate, used previously for 12 years.
- Intermediate, using currently and for 7 years.
- Work Status
- I am authorized to work for any employer in the US or Australia.
- Target Job Titles
- Web Developer/Engineer, Technology Evangelist, Internet Strategist, Director of Technology, Chief Technology Officer.
- Company Size
- Smaller is better -- Startups are perfect.
- Preferred Location
- San Francisco/New York/Global/Distributed.
- Willing to Travel
- Sure. I've worked solely from a laptop for the last few years and 100% "remote" for 3+ years. It's all in the communication.
Background & Interests
Technology/Concepts I'm Interested In: WordPress, bbPress, Microformats, jQuery, REST, semantics, search, search-marketing, web metrics, AJAX, web services, Amazon Web Services/cloud services, scaling, online culture, community-building, memes, game dynamics.
Personally: I love hiking, back-packing and camping and used to get out mountain biking a lot more. I'm a volunteer for a disaster response organization in San Francisco, and am interested in the concepts of community-level self-sufficiency. I have a penchant for quality writing instruments, and I enjoy playing poker and drinking tea (and coffee, of course, but mainly espresso-based drinks rather than drip/filter). I have trained in a few different styles of martial arts, the most recent of which is my favorite; Krav Maga.