Beau Lebens, IRL
I’m an Australian “web guy” who moved to the US in search of the big technology industry that is Silicon Valley. After 7 years in San Francisco, I’m now in Brooklyn, New York.
I’ve worked in the web industry since ’96, I guess that makes me a veteran or something — or just makes me sound old :-). Here’s a picture (right) so that you have a face to put to the name. It’s powered using Gravatar so it should stay relatively up to date. If you see me at a convention or meetup or something come and say hi, or tell me I’m a geek and I shouldn’t put my picture on the Intarwebs.
When I’m not sitting in front of a computer screen (2 actually), I’m an active student of Krav Maga, an Israeli self-defense system. I currently hold a Blue belt (Level 5), although haven’t been training too much lately. As a relatively recent transplant to the East Coast, I’m still finding my way around and exploring the greater New York area.
Currently I work full-time for Automattic, the company behind WordPress and a few other interesting tools and services such as IntenseDebate, Akismet, bbPress and BuddyPress. If you’re interested in finding out a bit more about me you can check out my résumé (or just get in touch).
If you’re looking for a more formal bio, try this on for size:
Now that I work at Automattic, I’m lucky enough to speak at WordCamps once in a while. I’ll try to keep this list up to date with my appearances:
- 2013-07-27; WordCamp San Francisco: Bringing WordPress to the Frontend with o2
- 2013-05-14/15; Automattic’s VIP Workshop: Frontend Performance. WordPress.com Functionality.
- 2013-05-02; WordCamp North Canton: Power up your WordPress with Jetpack (presented with Justin Shreve)
- 2012-11-20; NYC WordPress Meetup: WordPress as your Digital Hub/Home (See also: my post on the topic).
- 2012-03-27/28; Automattic’s VIP Workshop: Post Formats & Custom Post Types. Open Sourcing Your Code
- 2011-05-14; WordCamp Orange County: Jetpack-powered Plugin Development (Advanced plugin development techniques)
- 2010-05-01; WordCamp San Francisco: Gravatar Open Profiles (Lighting Talk, 7 mins)
- 2010-01-30; WordCamp Indonesia: What’s Up With WordPress (Keynote)
- 2009-11-14; WordCamp New York City: Advanced WordPress Development Environments (and Intro to IntenseDebate)
- 2009-09-19; WordCamp Philippines: Meet the Family (Extended Version)
- 2009-09-12; WordCamp Los Angeles: Meet the Family
Beau Lebens online
Although I don’t heavily use a lot of these anymore, you’ll find profiles or bits and pieces of my digital identity at the following sites (once DiSo gains traction I can shift it all back here… right?). Combined, they capture a lot of my digital footsteps (or just provide an account where I want to be able to comment etc).
Dented Reality, the company/website
I registered the business name Dented Reality in Australia in 1998 and consulted under that title for a while (side-work, while also working full-time). I registered the dentedreality.com.au domain for the first time in ’98 as well. Unfortunately dentedreality.com was registered by someone else immediately thereafter, and has been re-registered continuously since then (I’d love to get it!).
- Akismet by Automattic.
- Artiss Plugins List by David Artiss.
- Database Peek by Albert Bertilsson.
- Email Login by Beau Lebens.
- Exploration Tools by Beau Lebens.
- Gravatar Shortcode by Beau Lebens.
- Gravatar Wall by Beau Lebens.
- Image Rotation Repair by Shane & Peter, Inc..
- Jetpack by WordPress.com by Automattic.
- Keyring by Beau Lebens.
- Keyring Social Importers by Beau Lebens.
- MediaRSS by Andy Skelton.
- OpenID by DiSo Development Team.
- P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) by GoDaddy.com.
- Simple Page Ordering by Jake Goldman, 10up.
- SyntaxHighlighter Evolved by Viper007Bond.
- TinyMCE Advanced by Andrew Ozz.
- Update Notifier by Jon Cave.
- VaultPress by Automattic.
- WordPress MU Domain Mapping by Donncha O Caoimh.
- WP-DownloadManager by Lester 'GaMerZ' Chan.
- WP Emphasis by Benjamin J. Balter.
- WP Super Cache by Donncha O Caoimh.
- WYSINWYG by Beau Lebens.
- YOURLS: WordPress to Twitter by Ozh.